View Single Post
Old
05-15-2012, 02:24 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
You have to consider that he got those stats as a 3rd line player, playing with third line players, as a checking line... and always on the 2nd wave of the PP.. which is around 30-40 seconds.

Give him top wingers, playing on 1st PP unit.. I think he could easily get 30G/70pts.
Staal played 20:03 a night and 1:59 PP time for the season. As well as 15:25 at ES (22nd in the league for centers) He was not, and is not a 3rd line player with Pittsburgh. Yes he plays with weaker offensive players on his wings but that goes both ways as he also on a team with a star like Malkin never faces opposing teams top defensive guys.

Eller also played with weak linemates this year, with good wingers maybe he scores 25 goals and 55 points. Is Staal going to be worth the 4 or so more million per year after next season he will cost?

Would we be having this conversation if Staal was 6 feet instead of 6 foot 3?

Yes he COULD hit 30 goals and 70 assists or maybe he's never going to be more than a 55 point player. I'm sure there have been many times when a guy was playing behind other more offesnive guys and putting up what seemed to be very impressive numbers and then upon moving into a new situation with better linemates and minutes didn't really advance his numbers that greatly.

Staal really doesn't strike me as a guy who makes his linemates better or anything either. To me, while it's possible he could be a 30+ goal 70+ point guy I think he's far more suited to be a 2nd liner in the NHL. Perhaps the best 2nd line centerman in the league.

Another thing is, the Penguins are looking to win now. The 3rd overall pick this year may very well not even be NHL ready next season. Isn't it plausible they will be looking for a far more NHL ready commodity?

Too bad we didn't have another guy like Pacioretty, only not as good..who could be part of a trade package for Staal.

I also think it's very possible they'd have interest in Eller. As he's an NHL ready guy who could take over a lot of Staal's minutes but be much cheaper. Obviously it would have to be Eller+ and I don't know what might make sense.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote