View Single Post
Old
05-15-2012, 08:35 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
See, I don't know about that. Everybody assumes that if you are going to play a defensive system you dob't get high end offensive players. It seems to me that if you are going to play a defensive system without a lot of offensive support, you would want a few high end offensive guys to make the most of the offensive opportunities you do have. Could you imagine in their prime Lemieux and Jagr on this year's Caps team (replacing OV and Backsteom, let's say)? We take out the Rags in no more than 5 games by limiting them to 2 goals and scoring 3 of our own. Of course that's an extreme example, but I see where McPhee may be going with this. Plus, he probably figures it's easier to teach an offensive guy to play some defense than the other way around. My problem with Hunter was not in the defensive emphasis, but rather the abandonment of offensive basics like forechecking and cycling, which are critical to defensive success anyways.
I agree with that after watching the Habs' playoff run in 2009 - 2010. They had limited opportunities at times but the guy lighting it up the most was Michael Cammalleri. He was a sniper and was able to take advantage of the opportunities given. And I agree it's easier to teach D than develop high end offensive skills.

My problem with Hunter was that he stressed that first goal so much. The team didn't seem adept at counter punching once down. Also the Caps scored the first goal a lot but then turtled and didn't seem to have a killer instinct. IDK if that was Hunter though or the guys not finishing.