View Single Post
Old
05-15-2012, 10:28 AM
JohnnyReb

vCash: 500
It really comes down to how you answer two questions:

1. Will the 3rd overall pick be better than Staal? Based on the forwards taken at 3rd overall or later (if a defenseman was taken there) over the last 12 years, no, they will not be better. Now there are exceptions, so if you think whoever will be available at #3 is going to be more like Jonathon Toews than Alexander Svitov, then you make the deal. But the odds are not in your favor. Of course that's why you have a scouting staff, and you had better hope your scouting staff is a good one, and one that will give you good, honest opinions, and not answer with a bunch of "well, you knows, ifs, buts, and perhapses".

2. Can you resign Staal before he hits UFA? It's a legitimate concern, but me I say that if you are worried that you can't sign a guy despite having over a year to woo him, then you kind of suck as an organization. On July 1st you get about 2 hours to convince somebody to spend the next x amount of years in your city, but we're worried we can't do it over a 12 month period?? This is Montreal! This is the Montreal Canadiens! One of the greatest cities and organizations in the world and in professional sports! Have a little faith in your town and team, is what I say.

JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote