View Single Post
Old
05-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Bones45

vCash: 500
Chubros hit the nail on the head.

The game today is impossible to watch. Its filled with huge equipment, blocked shots and defensive systems. And when you compare todays game to those of.. lets use the 1994 Couver clip from above, its as plain as day..

Rarely, are there SAVES, rather there are goalie blocks. Current mentality = Just butterfly, take up the lower part of hte net b/c there are 3 people taking up space on the angle to the upper parts of the net. result? shot blocked or wide. yawn.....

The only way hockey can get back to a more open, and offensive game, is to either make the nets bigger, the rink bigger, outlaw butterflying (which is a ***** way to play), or reduce the size of equipment.

When was the last time you saw a kick save? God I miss those days. Where is Denis Savard with all the maneuvers in teh offersive zone? Right.. there is no space left to do anything. (yawn #2)

But to commment a bit on the butterfly -- its here to stay--unfortunately. Like I mentioned in a different thread, put some oversize pads on me, and I can learn to butterfly and make some BLOCKS myself.

And as a result of butterflying, huge equipment, no space, and defensive systems, todays goalies are nowhere NEAR as talented and impressive as goalies in the past. Ya just dont HAVE to make saves anymore.. just play your angles properly, and butterfly.........

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote