View Single Post
Old
05-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Dean Lombardi offered the Sharks Brown, Frolov and Garon for Nabokov at the draft awhile back.
This rumor reminds me of the Kopitar for Khabibulin rumor that was floated around and was laughed at. I would bet everything I own that Dean never offered that, and if for some reason it was discussed, it was because Dean inquired and the Sharks countered with that. Mainly because of the reason we are sitting here today with two Kings drafted goaltenders. Dean Lombardi's #1 mission statement when he first joined the team, like it was with the Sharks, which resonated the first half of his tenure here in LA, was to draft and develop LA's own starting goaltending talent. He was never serious about acquiring any #1's or elites around the league, other than maybe trading for a young Luongo at the very beginning and drafting a Bernier to have a long continuation, but he was mainly only interested in stopgap goaltenders that could get us to Bernier or someone else internally. There is no way that was offered from the Kings, that is like saying the Capitals were considering a deal of Clowe, Pavelski, and Niemi for Vokoun at the deadline.

I won't deny that Dean probably asked about Nabby, but to say that he offered the farm for him is ridiculous. I could see him offering Rob Blake or a small/moderate price for him as a stopgap and mentor for his young goaltenders, but never as a serious option of we are spending big for an elite goaltender to take us to glory. Dean wanted a young goaltender to develop for the core because he wanted the team to grow and always be in competition because of that starting talent, like Kipper in Calgary. They are always right on the bubble there because they have had a fantastic starter that guarantees them 35-40+ wins for almost a decade.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter

Last edited by Telos: 05-15-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote