View Single Post
Old
03-24-2006, 09:06 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I think he's actually probably pretty happy with his choices. We need more defensemen all around and needed a big bruiser, so with his first pick he takes the Hamhuis clone Suter and his next pick he takes another one like him in Klien then he takes a big defenseman in Weber. I don't think you can address needs any better than that.

Hipcheck and I were talking about this the other day. Let's say he instead takes Phaneuf instead of Suter, and still takes Klien as the second two-way guy, now he's looking for his second two-way guy (remember Phaneuf wasn't thought to have much offense at the time of the draft) , so he takes Ivan Baranka (guessing)

So now we do have a number 1 defenseman with Phaneuf and Klien is still a number 4 guy - but our next best defense is now Stehlik, who might make a decent 6 guy.

Suter might not ever be equal to Phaneuf - but if you look at the entire package we got two top pairing guys with Suter and Weber along with a top 4 guy in Klien, to go along with Hamhuis and later on Parent to give us the best young blueliner prospects in the league bar none.

I just look at our young guys and think in 5 years we could be talking about these pairings.

Hamhuis-Weber
Suter-Parent
Klien-Franson

and we still have a stud prospect in Laakso.