View Single Post
Old
05-16-2012, 12:17 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I agree about Joe, I don't think he's going to have any big drop off anytime soon. He's still an older guy though, I don't see them getting "equal" value back. Those 5 guys you listed are all pretty solid players, STrome and Neiderr are still very early in thier careers but could definitely be top 6 guys. I think the key is to get assets back and hope they turn into something substantial. Thornton's value to San Jose and as a player is far higher than what his trade value would be I think.

It will be interesting to see what San Jose does in the next year or so, I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to try again with more or less the same core but I also don't think it'd be a bad idea to start a youth movement. One of many teams with a very intriguing offseason coming up.

I wouldn't worry about it too much man, a guy like Thornton, if they decide to move him would still have relatively close to the same value next offseason as he does this year. In fact maybe even moreso because of some of the CBA uncertainty this Summer.
The problem is that strictly objectively, moving Joe would probably be a good idea. But emotionally, I just can't do it. The guy does everything. He helps out the community, he's a true team player, he takes responsibility, he just wants to play and to win. I'm attached to him. I want to see him retire a Shark. But I'd rather see him win a Cup, wherever that my be.

And yes, those players picked at #5 are certainly great complimentary players, but not one fifth overall has been a star since Kessel. And I don't see Strome or Nino being that good either.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote