Thread: Speculation: Would you take Carle back?
View Single Post
Old
05-16-2012, 11:32 AM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Wow, when the Rangers' D block shots, they are courageous warriors.

When Laperriere, Pronger, Kimmo, Coburn, Meszaros, Grossmann, Lilja, Bourdon and Gustafsson do it, they are great, self-sacrificing players.

When Carle does it, it's because he's out of position?

As far Kukkonen goes, he was always a good Dman, and great at blocking shots. A true warrior. His problem really was that he didn't do anything on offense, and he's not really big enough to be a purely defensive D in the NHL because he could not clear the crease. He's a great AHL or Euro Dman, always liked his spirit, he's just not an NHL calibre defender.

Let's start facing reality a bit. If Suter goes UFA, there are lots of other teams with cap room and money who will be able to offer him more than the Flyers. Detroit is the prime example, but probably 10 teams will get in on the bidding. For the Flyers to outbid all the potential suitors for Suter, we're going to have to create some other big holes in the lineup to create cap space, unless Timonen or Briere retires.... and how likely is that?

Sign Carle for $5M or under for 4-5 years, give up the futile quest for Suter.
No, I didn't say that about Carle. I quoted this

Quote:
Shots blocked=/=good defense
Shots blocked=/=good positioning

Shots blocked = Shots blocked
and stated that that is true and gave Kukkonen as an example of a dman who blocked a lot of shots, but still isn't very good as a (defensive) dman. Having had three coaches who stressed playing (team) d without having to force yourself to go down and block a shot, it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Carle isn't a great dman defensively, he's not nearly as bad as some people around here make him out to be either, but that he blocks a fair amount of shots isn't really a sign of his play.

As for Suter, I wouldn't bet money on him being a Flyer next season but we definitely has the room for him if we're able to convince him that this is the place he should go to.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote