View Single Post
Old
05-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
By the same token you can trade your picks for "known commodities" every year but that's not the formula to build a winner.

There are definitely worst places to trade the pick than a guy like Staal, but with Plekanec and Eller already here you end up adding to an area of strength instead of shoring up one of need.

Unless you think Staal can be a top 15 NHL center(75-90 points normal year) I don't really see a good fit for the Habs. For Toronto it makes all the sense in the world.
sure, but we aren't talking about trading pickS for known commodities "every year", we're talking about one isolated move, that given the context for both teams, could fit both teams long-term needs quite well.

with 6 top-60 picks in the next two seasons, I'd say now is the perfect time to be able to leverage a first round pick into a cornerstone type player, which I think Staal could be (at least more so than the players available at the top of this year's draft). We'd still have 5 more top-60 picks in the next two years, with Timmins running the draft, that should lead to at several quality young players/prospects to continue building our organization into a consistent winner.

doesn't make any sense to use blanket statements as an argument against a specific move.

also, why does he need to score "75-90 pts" to be a top-15 C? Toews has only surpassed the 70pt mark once thus far (granted he was on pace for 79 this year), and yet I'm sure you'd consider him a top 15 #1C...

but besides that, yes, I do think Staal, used as a #1C, could legitimately put up 75-80pts regularly, with perhaps the odd 80+pt season if everything goes right for him & the team in a given year.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote