View Single Post
Old
05-16-2012, 12:10 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
sure, but we aren't talking about trading pickS for known commodities "every year", we're talking about one isolated move, that given the context for both teams, could fit both teams long-term needs quite well.

with 6 top-60 picks in the next two seasons, I'd say now is the perfect time to be able to leverage a first round pick into a cornerstone type player, which I think Staal could be (at least more so than the players available at the top of this year's draft). We'd still have 5 more top-60 picks in the next two years, with Timmins running the draft, that should lead to at several quality young players/prospects to continue building our organization into a consistent winner.

doesn't make any sense to use blanket statements as an argument against a specific move.

also, why does he need to score "75-90 pts" to be a top-15 C? Toews has only surpassed the 70pt mark once thus far (granted he was on pace for 79 this year), and yet I'm sure you'd consider him a top 15 #1C...

but besides that, yes, I do think Staal, used as a #1C, could legitimately put up 75-80pts regularly, with perhaps the odd 80+pt season if everything goes right for him & the team in a given year.
None of those 5 other top 60 picks will have anywhere near the value, or the likeliehood of becoming an impact player that this years 3rd overall will.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, and i imagine between now and June 24th I'll say it several more times.

Taking shortcuts is not the way to build a consistent c ontender in the NHL and I really hope Bergevin realizes that as well.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote