Thread: Proposal: Colorado-Montreal
View Single Post
Old
05-16-2012, 01:13 PM
foppagirl21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
That's the thing though... Our defense has O'Brien, O'Byrne, Wilson, Hejda, Elliott, Barrie, and Hunwick. Basically there are 7 guys who ideally play in a #4 to #6 role. We need 2 top-3 defensemen but have plenty of lower end depth.

The wings have Landeskog, Downie, McGinn, Hejduk, Olver, Mueller, and Jones. Plenty of top-9 depth, but only one top line quality winger in Landeskog.
I completely understand. The Avs are painfully lacking in top-6 talent. They have plenty of bottom sixers and bottom pairing D-men, but are extremely thin in top-end talent. They have got Stastny, Duchene, O'Reilly, Landeskog, maybe Mueller and McGinn (let's see how both respond next season) up front and EJ ('bout it) on D. Hejduk is definitely past his prime and last season he should NOT have been anywhere near the top 2 lines. Jonesy is a borderline top-6 guy (could be great with Stastny, but I am still on the fence about him). Downie... well, before his shoulder injury he looked like a SOLID top-sixer on COL with O'Reilly and Landeskog, but one has to wonder if it was that post-trade high. Fingers crossed he continues to play like he did right after the trade and before his injury. Still, these guys are borderline 2nd liners. No "solid" top line guys outside of center and EJ (on D). I do not call having a plethora of 3-4th liners and bottom pairing D-men as abundant in depth. Still tons of holes on the roster.

My point: there are too many holes on the Avs' roster to be considered a "deep" team.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote