Thread: Ukraine: HC Donbas
View Single Post
Old
05-16-2012, 02:20 PM
yunost

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Any news regarding this team? Has Donetsk made any move to sign Toryanik or Ramazanov? Both look like they may have KHL potential and are still young enough to be developed.

If this team is a success, what are the chances that Kiev gets a KHL team? Does Ukraine have enough KHL calibur players to be able to field at least 5 Ukrainians to each team, with Fedotenko, Ponikarovsky, Razin and Kasyanchuk playing elsewhere?
I think there are good chances. I'm sure Sokil wanted to join with them being the top club and all, and always playing in better leagues like BOL or VHL. They couldnt make the jump but just might get enough inspiration to get actively pursuing it. Last year there was Budivelnyk Kiev that was close but fell through last minute because of arena problems. I think interest for a Kiev KHL team is more or less there, and with a successful team like Donbass setting an amazing example might make people get serious. I think Ukraine can sustain 2 KHL teams and eventually (10 yrs) have some new home-grown talent on it. I hear Donbass has a strong 98 class so they are 14 now and will be in their mid twenties in 10 yrs. The PHL getting better is a strong positive as well since that creates better players too and sparks hockey interest in the country.

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote