View Single Post
Old
05-16-2012, 03:57 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
I certainly understand the rationale and it's not that I don't think the offer is good. It's simply that there have been a rash of offers that seem to think the Yotes MUST or that it would FOOLISH not to move defenseman this offseason. Practically none of the Yotes fans see it this way and most of the offers have been pretty underwhelming.

But I think you're exaggerating the barrenness of the Yotes forward prospect cupboard. Chris Brown and Lucas Lessio are both 2nd round pick power forwards that are on track. Maloney has also worked hard at signing coveted undrafted players. Andy Miele had a very good first pro year after winning the Hobey Baker last year and is very much in the mold of Ray Whitney and will probably convert to wing next year. They just signed Brendan Shinnimin too. That's not to say that any of these guys look like they'll have the impact that Schwartz or Rattie will, but just to point out that we're not as forward-prospect-poor as you're making us out to be.

I've offered Klesla for NYI Josh Bailey and EDM Magnus Paajarvi and some of those teams' fans accepted, and I think those are reasonable players that could develop more and have an impact w/o touching OEL, Yandle or Gormley. If the Yotes really feel they've got to move a LHD to open up ice time and "re-stock" the cupboards, I'd move Klesla, because he's had some injury history, we acquired him for nothing and his value is at its peak.
You have some guys who are Phil McRae-level and nothing else. Shinnimin's a nice story but he dominated a league of 16-19 year olds at age 20/21. It's been a long time since Hobey winners have done anything in the NHL. Paajarvi is a likely bust (all speed and no finish), Klesla for Paajarvi is you guys getting bent over hard. Oiler fans put him in every deal now for a reason. What I'm saying is you probably want to take some of the blue-chip talent at D and convert it to blue-chip talent at forward.

I also don't get why you're plugging in Gormley to be someone who doesn't become NHL full-time til he's 24, 25, 26, as you said in another reply. That would be a horrible mismanagement job by the Coyotes. Like I said responding to rt, the overwhelming number of Canadian junior first rounders are NHL full-timers by their third post draft season. And it's not because they're being rushed, it's because they're talented. If your NHL defense weren't so loaded at the moment, we wouldn't even be having this debate, he's be plugged in and the entire world would expect it. Just because Phoenix has had bacd luck in the past with first rounders doesn't mean anything as far as Gormley. He had nothing to do with those guys faltering. He's his own person.

It doesn't have to be this trade; it doesn't have to be Gormley. But IMO you guys are making a big mistake if you don't rebalance. I'm happy to see Phoenix do well, by the way. I hope they do have success.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote