Thread: Speculation: Would you take Carle back?
View Single Post
Old
05-16-2012, 05:08 PM
dawkins121

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I have watched Carle every single shift as a Flyer, he can go make whatever the **** he wants somewhere else. He is our 5th best D man and should be paid accordingly by what will make the Flyers a better team to win a cup, Carle at 5 mill does nothing to help with that goal.
That might be part of the problem. Everything Carle does gets hyper analyzed and even though he does make some pretty glaring turnover mistakes I think his puck movement and overall defensive skills make up for them.

And honestly I think the fact that Carle is a known commodity makes me feel better about signing him, a "the grass is always greener on the other side" kind of thing. Despite how the signing looks in hindsight, Bryzgalov was supposed to solve our goaltending problems because he showed he can carry a team out in Phoenix even though I doubt many people here watched every game he played or even a decent sample size of games he played because he was out West. Now it's starting to look like he might have actually been a product of Phoenix's system and that he's not the elite goaltender he was cracked up to be.

Fast forward one offseason. How do we know Ryan Suter isn't a product of the Nashville system playing with Weber and in front of Rinne? How many people have watched every single shift Suter has had as a Predator? How sure are you that he would be a substantial improvement over Carle? Not in a vacuum, but here. In Philly, with our system. Are you willing to bet a Bryzgalov-like contract on it?

Carle is not a franchise d-man, but he's a solid top 4 guy. So if he can be signed at 4.5 to 5 mill I would be ok with that. Because that is what serviceable top 4 guys make and we know what Carle is and what he can and can't do. Suter WILL be paid like a franchise d-man. Will he play like one in Philadelphia? Maybe. Maybe not.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote