Old
05-16-2012, 05:26 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
On July 1st.
I wonder if they can sign him and then look at trading him. Assuming of course he wants to play in Florida but the team doesn't want to pay him what he wants.
So he's going to sign in Florida because he wants to be there, but then they trade him after signing him as a UFA to get something back for him?

That's not going to happen. Would make Florida look terrible and would hurt future negotiations with players. He's now a pending UFA, and the only value he has is that of his rights - maybe a 4th round pick or a 3rd at best. As has been mentioned many times here, sign and trades for UFA don't happen in this league.

---------------

As far as the fit for him in Vancouver, he'd have to have proven he's comfortable playing the right side, which I've personally never seen him play. We know that the 3 left dmen we have - Edler, Hamhuis and Ballard - none are comfortable on the right side. So if Garrison is signed in Vancouver he either has to play the right side or one of Edler or Ballard have to be dealt. and if it's Edler, either he or Ballard moves into the top-4 while the other is on the 3rd pairing, while if it's Ballard who gets moved, Garrison would slide into the 3rd pairing leaving the team with the same problem they have now - too expensive a 3rd pairing dman.

After the problems we've had the past 2 years trying to plug a natural left-side dman to the right side, I'd think Gillis and his staff would be very cautious of doing that again. Garrison may have publicly said he wants to play in Vancouver, but like we've seen in the past with Kariya and Whitney, maybe the fit isn't there to bring him in.

Having said that, after the mess the defense was in for most of the season, maybe it's time for some drastic moves and that could mean trading one or both of Edler/Ballard and bringing in Garrison and another cheaper bottom pairing guy. But unless the club is planning big changes on defense, or unless Garrison has proven capable of playing the right side, the fit likely isn't there.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote