View Single Post
Old
05-16-2012, 06:24 PM
beth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmechanic View Post
That's awesome. My forward skating could definitely be better. How often are you lessons? What are the qualification of your instructors? (so I have some idea how to find a good one in my area)
I try to have a lesson each week, but sometimes ice is hard to get, or there's other schedule conflicts, so it probably averages about 2-3 times a month.

My instructors that I like are Shaun Miller and Erik Hanson. When I wasn't working, I was at the rink all the time and got to see a lot of instructors giving lessons during stick-n-puck. You can tell that some are better than others, and I picked Shaun by how technical he was. He'll watch me and figure out what each part of my body is doing wrong and think of the best way to correct it. If Shaun's not available then I'll text Erik instead. Erik is HUGE on skating and probably 80-90% of my lesson with him is without a puck. Both coaches are amazing skaters and I'm a visual learner so it helps so much to see someone do things perfectly.

So my advice for finding a coach is just to watch lessons if you see them happening at the rink, and then if you like what you see, just ask them for their info.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote