View Single Post
Old
05-17-2012, 01:38 PM
sbkbghockey

vCash: 500
Interesting development. Pro Hockey just hasn't worked in Dayton. Since the ECHL's Dayton Bombers left, the market has been home to a rotating door of teams and leagues. I'm not sure the FHL franchise will be more successful than the CHL Gems, or a few seasons ago the AAHL's Troy Bruins on the North side of the Dayton metro.

Dayton has been rumored to be going forward with a downtown/centralized arena for years and I think that is one factor why pro hockey hasn't been successful in Dayton. Also the city is quickly becoming incorporated into Cincy market/Southwest Ohio as more of a suburb to Cincy than a distinct market. Maybe that phenomenon is occurring with hockey fans in Dayton as they are traveling to Columbus for the Blue Jackets or Cincy for the well established Cyclones.

One of the more successful teams was the Troy Bruins Jr. team prior to their move to pro hockey and the AAHL. The team played in the independent NJHL but I've always thought the team could have been successful moving to NAHL or USHL instead of the AAHL. Dayton might be a good location for a high level junior team, rather than constant attempts to add pro teams sandwiched between two established pro hockey markets (Cincy and Columbus) .

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote