View Single Post
Old
05-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Of The Dial View Post
Polling the consensus gives Gaunce, Hertl, Skjei, Vasilevski, and Lindholm from 20-24.

Vasilevski's a goalie and Hertl has skating issues, so I would be surprised if either of those guys were on the Pens radar. Lindholm sounds like an Erik Karlsson type, high-risk/high-reward, raw offensive defenseman (I wonder how much his stock is being helped by Karlsson's play).

Gaunce brings size, intangibles, and packs a solid scoring punch. I would be surprised if he were around at 22ish. Skjei sounds like he was made in a Ray Shero wet dream: American defenseman with high-end skating ability, but doesn't use his size as well as he should.
I might be jumping the gun here, but if Shero is seriously contemplating moving Staal in the not so distant future, I actually think he could target a guy like Gaunce. I'm not sure he's got Staal's offensive upside, but he projects to be a similar type of player -- good two-way center who is good along the boards, and who can chip in 15 to 20 goals, 40+ points.

In the games I saw, he seemed to excel at a lot of the same things Staal does. Gaunce is more of a playmaker than Staal, though, but likely won't match Staal's goal scoring.

Put it this way. If Gaunce and Scissons are both available when the Pens pick, I'd rather they went with Gaunce.