Thread: Speculation: Would you take Carle back?
View Single Post
Old
05-18-2012, 10:00 AM
dawkins121

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
The way to look at it is this: is a top 4 of Mez, Coburn, Carle, Grossman -- long term -- good enough to win you a Cup? I don't think it is. Granted, they could trade someone (probably Mez) or one of these guys could be playing 3rd pairing (expensive), but if they sign Carle, that's our defensive core.

I don't really have anything against Carle -- I think he's better than people here say but he's far from all-world -- but I really don't think that those 4 as your 1-4 can win a Cup. Knowing Holmgren, though, our D is not going to look like that.
The thing that top 4 is missing is a bona fide #1 guy. That's what Timonen's money is for. Carle is a suitable top 4 guy so it's ok if he earns top 4 money. Timonen has been great for us but he just isn't that top end guy anymore. There's a reason Carle and Coburn played significantly more minutes this year. I don't want to imply that Timonen hasn't earned his contract because he's been great for us, but let's just say I'm thankful that his 6.3 is off the books after next year.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote