Thread: Speculation: Would you take Carle back?
View Single Post
Old
05-18-2012, 11:19 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm flabbergasted at how people on here want to get rid of Carle, yet the replacements people have talked about, Jason Garrison and Denis Wideman, are probably even worse defenders.

Do I think Matt Carle is worth 5 million bucks a year? No, not until his defensive game really solidifies. Is he worth 4 million? Absolutely. For the skill set he brings to the table, he'd definitely a 4 million a year defenseman.

Would I like Carle back? I would. He's been very receptive to the coaching he's received and he's a much better player now than he was when he first arrived. I'd love to see a real defensive expert help Matt out in terms of defensive zone play and how to tighten up his game (once again, a guy like Eric Desjardins would be fabulous in that role).

It's clear that Suter is going to be the guy who is going to command a lot of money and attention this off season. Carle will be the second most wanted defenseman after him. I'm prepared that the Flyers will lose him and will make a trade for a younger guy instead.
I dont think he is worth being paid that kind of money either. I think the media overrates him on the defensive side of the puck. He isnt that good and he is soft as hell too. Sure he blocks a lot of shots, but his positioning is below average when he is actually on his skates.
He has a below average shot and makes terrible decisions with the puck when making that first pass out of the defensive zone.
I understand its a buyers market and the Flyers are going have to make a choice to either overpay for Carle and they will have to overpay him to keep him off the market, or wait until July 1 and go after Suter or someone else. or we could make a Mez like trade.
I am just taking Holmgren's words with a grain of salt as far as what he said about Carle. its just lip service talk. This is Carle's first test test into UFA and I am sure in the end hes thinking that the Flyers will have to overpay "market value" to retain him.
I am just dreading the 7 year 40 million dollar contract with a full NTC Holmgren will give him on June 30th.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote