View Single Post
Old
05-18-2012, 01:12 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudie View Post
Football (gtfo with soccer!) is bar non the most popular sport in Sweden, although Hockey is really popular as well and most other winter sports.

IFK Gothenburg (same city as hockey team Fröunda which have several NHL stars, Erik Karlsson, H Lundqvist, Alfie, Loui Eriksson) won as the first Nordic country a major title in 1982. And again 1987, the equivalent to todays Champions League. However since that it has been pretty much downhill since Sweden could not really keep the pace with the rapidly growing economy in the European football. Now we're like a third world country only supporting the "developed" football markets.

In the Uefa cup (the second cup in line after Champions League), we had Elfsborg in 2007 qualify for the grouping stage. They had a pretty decent team led by the national team assistant captain Anders Svensson.

The results for them was:

Valencia - Elfsborg 3-0
Elfsborg - Valencia 1-2
Villareal CF - Elfsborg 2-0
Elfsborg - AEK Athen 1-1
Fiorentina - Elfsborg 6-1

Usually the other team dominated quite a bit, the Valencia game was the year prior or after they made the group stage I reckon. And we had Helsingborg beating Inter in the qualifying stage of Champions League over a decade ago, and as previous being mentioned Malmö-Milan and so on.

Nowadays Denmark and Norwegian is quite a head of ous, BUT NOT our national team, just the domestic league. Köpenhamn and Rosenborg I think got the most success lately (last 10 years)

The Sweden national team hasn't been very good tho, in my opinion, tho in Euro 2004 championship we actually had quite a nice tournament, was inches from beating out Holland.

Academy wise it's about same as for hockey, if you have some kind of merits you can apply to hockey/football/handball/floorball/skiing etc-high school. And then you have the youth teams, usually the ones in highest league draws most talents to them, however a club that is not in the highest league with a very good track record on talents produced today is IFK Värnamo. University/college sport doesn't excist almost in Sweden, some offer benefits as more flexible schedules for those at a high level, at my university we a world championship gold winner in orienteering and several from the skiing national team.

The clubs with very good academy in Europe besides in portugal as you mentioned, I think Barcelona would be one, and previously Ajax (Amsterdam, NL) who actually was more impressing than Barcelona IMO.

Malmö FF played in Euro Leauge last year and 1979 they reach Champions Leauge final.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote