View Single Post
Old
05-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Skrimpy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post
They were playing the "Jeopardy" theme while the replays were shown on Gardenvision during the lengthy review. Referees didn't announce the goal to the crowd via cordless microphone back then, so they addressed the play directly to captain Mark Messier (and Gretzky); first relative quiet... then CELEBRATION!!! IIRC, some of the Panthers scuffled with the Rangers before everyone went back to their respective dressing rooms.

[EDIT: Forgot to add - EVEN former analyst JD didn't believe the shot went in until he saw the net cam view, the puck came at the viewer on the screen, and the hardness of the shot shifted the viewing angle ever so slightly.]
Thats right. I remember the replays now. Jeopardy theme reminds me of another memorable game, (not at the garden or even a Ranger game but it was fun). It was a season or two right after the infamous Brett Hull cheating incident. I hate the Sabres (mainly because they blackout the games here in smAlbany). Pre season matchup between the Slugs and the Panthers in Binghamton. There was a questionable call (not a goal call) that was being reviewed and the Jeopardy theme was playing. The arena was dead silent and when the song ended....da, dada, dada, da, da. I stand up and yell at the top of my lungs, "What is 'No Goal, Alex'". The sabres fans were not very happy with me. I actually got boood pretty good. Then when it got quiet again, I yelled, "Brett Hull is THE MAN!"

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote