View Single Post
Old
05-19-2012, 03:17 AM
Hab-a-maniac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
Seeing how Toronto actually built a stadium downtown and with a roof system that actually works, it hurts. Rogers Centre is not the best place to watch baseball for sure but it's right downtown and in a hot summer day the roof being open makes it awesome to watch.

Ugh what could have been.
I know eh? Toronto will need to address the issue of a new stadium in 20-30 years too but I think Toronto will have the capital to pull that off. There'll probably be a good location too. Montreal struggled to find it and then when it all seemed ready to happen, the damn provincial government pulled out. It might take an owner outside of Quebec like with Gillette and the Habs (he turned them from an 80M purchase to a half a billion dollar sale!) to do it but there needs to be committment from various parties to get that downtown stadium.

And yes the product on the field would need to be great but the Spos always did great at Jarry Park when they sucked. When they blew at the Big O, no one wanted to go because the location and the facility was a turn-off that could only be ignored with a contending team. It's a bit like that with the Jays when they suck but at least from May-September there's the open roof to enjoy the weather day or night! I go to half a dozen Jay games a year I'd say (two this year so far) and it is not a perfect stadium for baseball but it's still great in the summer anyway. Look what an outdoor place did for the Alouettes! That could've and should've been the Expos.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote