View Single Post
Old
05-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B. View Post
Can the Bruins sign him to an ELC and then loan him to KHL?
I believe so. There is a transfer agreement in place until June 30, 2012 but even if that is not renewed, I understand that the NHL team and can work any deal they want with a KHL club. The transfer agreement is more to prevent the KHL from poaching NHL players under contract like what happened with Alexander Radulov in 2008. KoKo signing an ELC would put him in that category, but not sure about how much enforcement oomph is behind the memorandum of agreement.

The issue is more whether the club's wishes will be honored by the KHL club when/if the player sent over is to be returned for a chance to make the club down the road. There is always a risk involved when dealing with some of the teams/personalities across the ocean.

The law is pretty complex when dealing with situations like this because you're dealing with international entities who aren't forced to honor contracts that would be binding in U.S. courts, so not sure how it all works myself.

Bottom line: Bruins can do it, but they'd have to make a leap of faith that Spartak would release him back when Boston wanted him. Once he's over there, you're risking the possibility of the team demanding compensation not originally agreed upon or other complications such as KoKo deciding he'd just rather stay home and bank more coin if he's comfortable over there.