View Single Post
Old
05-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Payback is the wrong word. I just meant these things happen. It really really sucks, but we fleeced them and they fleeced us. Kovalev gave us the best regular season we've seen since 1989. He also gave us some of the best upsets in Habs playoff history. In the end it means nothing, but it was fun when it happened. Obviously it's not fair to say these trades cancel each other out, but I just want people to move on. We don't see Sharks fans moaning everytime Pacioretty scores a goal or Gorges makes a great shot block. We need to stop clinging on.
There is a huge difference between the Sharks and the Habs. We HAD that player. We knew him. We decided to move him based on the things we knew about him. Sharks send a pick. There's no way they'd know their scout group would have picked him. The Rivet deal was a great deal for us. But in no way detrimental to them THAT much except the Gorges part. But while valuable...you are not talking about the type of player that McDonagh is becoming. See, when I bash our team for trading 1st or 2nd rounders, I don't bash tme because of the player the other team picked....but based on the pick we could have had and use Timmins to work his magic on.

And the Kovalev trade ended up one sided thanks to the Balej injury but also thanks to something else....We ended up trading a 2nd round draft pick as well. Rangers chose Bruce Graham with that pick. But then, if they would have chose the guy that left 2 picks behind in David Booth, they'd feel they would not have done so bad after all. Or Dubinsky, Goligoski or Krejci that all went in the 2nd round. But then, we could not have bashed our team for doing it. There's no way we'd know if we would have picked those guys. But for the Rangers, it would have been a better deal. Just like the Gorges-Pac-Rivet deal.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote