Thread: WC: in 2 countries
View Single Post
Old
05-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Jeepers Creeper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zat View Post
Yeah, I don't agree at all. Qualifying for the World Cup would definitely not be not bigger than Finland winning an Olympic Gold. It's hard for me to even fathom how you could say so, knowing how clear #1 sport hockey still is in Finland. A qualifying would obviously be A Big Thing and dramatically increase the popularity of soccer here, but nope, compared to winning gold, it's not even close.
Hockey is #1 because it's the sport we've continually had success in comparison to football, but lets not pretend as if football is non-existent in Finland. The upcoming EC is already generating excitement among football fans even though Finland, as always, is not playing. If they did, I would expect the same excitement to be spread all over in general public creating a huge buzz.

Yeah, "only" qualifying into a tournament may seem less tempting compared to winning the whole thing, but lets not forget that the prestige of WC is much bigger than that of Olympics. I don't see how it is a stretch to expect the impact to be at least comparable between winning gold in Olympics and qualifying into WC or EC.