View Single Post
Old
05-20-2012, 10:28 AM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haleks View Post
I'd agree with this pre-lockout. But now with the cap world, having a young team that is doing very well doesn't necessarily mean you'll be good for years to come. As these young player, that are performing well, once their EL contract or 2nd contract expire they'll look for a significant raise. Next year LA might lose Stoll, Penner... In 2 years, Quick will ask for a significant raise from is current 1.8 cap hit, Bernier will probably want to go play #1 somewhere else.

Anyways, my point is in this cap space era it is very rare to see the same team for 3+ years in a row (Young or not) and be a contender every year.
They will likely let Penner walk and Quick will definitely get a raise. Doughty, Kopitar, Richards, Carter are all locked up long term and I think Brown is for a couple more years. Mitchell just extended for 2 more. So a good number of players are set and these guys are either in their prime or just getting there, except Mitchell. King, Nolan and Voynov - I'm not sure of their contract status but while they're having a good run, it doesn't mean that will continue. I think their age balance with young, prime and vets is just as perfect as you can get. By the time Mitchell and Scuderi are done, Doughty, Greene and Voynov will be in their prime.