Old
05-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Looking at Boston, I have no idea how they could possibly frame this into a deal that makes sense for both sides. I maintain that their prospect pool is too weak to work with; they have Hamilton....they have Hamilton. It depends on how you feel about Spooner, Knight, and Khokhlachev. So basically, there would have to be actual roster players coming back.

Their pending free agent are Brian Rolston, Chris Kelly, Gregory Campbell, Daniel Paille, Joe Corvo, Greg Zanon, Marty Turco, and Mike Mottau (all UFA) and Benoit Pouliot (RFA). But with the contract extensions that are starting next year, they're looking at $5 million for 5 roster players, and that doesn't take injury callups into account.

Assume that Turco and Rolston are either retiring or not coming back. Mottau is a spare part. That leaves Corvo, Zanon, Kelly, Campbell, and Paille. I'd imagine that they'll try to re-sign Kelly and Paille, with the others all up in the air. If Marc Savard retires, that would clear another $4 million in cap space, which may be put toward re-signing those two (although Kelly himself may get that much in the open market).

Basically, there's a very small number of players who Boston could move that would have value. They'd be looking at gutting their forward corps, with Bergeron and Horton having NTCs. Which leaves....Lucic? Krejci? Seguin? Peverley? Shawn Thornton? Draft picks...Boston picks 24th in the first round.

Basically, the only pieces I can see in play are Lucic, Krejci, Seguin, Peverley, the first-rounder (24th), and Tim Thomas (whose NTC expires July 1). Is it possible for a deal to be reached in principle, that involves Boston's first-rounder being taken and then traded after July 1 as part of this deal? It's possible, but that's getting into the territory of seriously reaching.
Frankly, I wouldn't see Seguin in play. That said, there's three assets in there that are expendable that I like (Krejci, Peverley, and the 1st). Dunno if those alone are enough, tho.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!