View Single Post
Old
05-21-2012, 07:19 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Great thread, I like seeing what NOT to do!

I have my first tournament coming up this weekend. I'm acting as a 'warm body' for a team coming in from out of town. It's a women's team. I've warned them that I've only been playing for 8 weeks now, so if the warm body is important enough to them to risk having me on the ice, I'm game for it. They said they have other beginners, so hopefully I won't be completely out of my league, so to speak.

I've been playing 2X a week, with a women's drop-in league as well as my D-league and adult beginner class. I've come from being completely lost on the ice to having a vague idea of where I'm supposed to be and what I'm supposed to be doing. I haven't really hindered my teams in the last few games, and a few times I've actually helped (a couple of goals, an assist, getting the puck out from in front of the goal, blocking a few shots). I have to say that with such a wide variety of game situations I've played in, I haven't been able to really focus on playing one particular position. In my D-league, I've played LW and that's been the most stable/predictable situation. I am pretty sure I'll either be LW or RW in the tournament. In the women's drop-in, I've been stuck in a 3 on 3 game with no line changes (because there were ONLY 3 players for each team); I've played in a 4 on 4 situation and only once were there enough to have actual lines that we could do shifts on. Last week I ended up doing C for a couple of shifts and D for one shift (yikes, don't wanna do that again until I feel good about going backwards). So I haven't had a lot of time to really get things solidified. My coach at D-league did give me basic advice about where to be when the puck is in front of our goal, etc.

So, what would you suggest would be the MOST helpful things for me to keep in mind as I play this weekend? AFAIK, everyone is doing this for fun rather than out of some desire to win the tournament, get noticed by the NHL, etc. If you had a n00b player on your team who was OK at skating (but not great) and is pretty much guaranteed not to make huge goals or anything else, but is really trying to be helpful rather than a nuisance, what would you want to see them do?

From the thread, I'm thinking one thing I definitely want to focus on is not panicking when I get the puck - take a look around and see where I want to take it or send it. I am getting better on that, from where I was a few weeks ago. I don't get the puck often, but when I do I actually can do something constructive with it from time to time.