05-21-2012, 07:35 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
2012 Offseason Thread II: The Offseasoning

Continue.

Here are the last few posts from the previous thread to keep things going:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
He's a 26 year old scorer in a European league; what else would they be trying to sign him for? You don't sign a guy like Brunner to add some punch to the 4th line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Yeah the rumor is he wants to sign with a team to give him Top 6 minutes. He knows he's not a checker, and he'll fail if that's his role.

Also, I didn't pay much attention to his age earlier, but I think Euros have to sign ELC's until they are 28. The story I read may have been incorrect which means he'll sign a 1 year ELC which is even less of a risk.

If Dallas signs him, I don't think they're counting on him being the Top 6 winger in the sense that all hope rides on him. Like I stated earlier, they have the prospect depth to roll the dice on this guy. He would likely be the primary option so the prospects get more development in the AHL, but if this turns into Brunnstrom 2.0 I don't believe for a second the team would hesitate to make a change.

Knowing this ... or at least his agent should be able to figure out he'd be on a short leash in Dallas because of the depth ... he'll have to decide if it's worth coming to Dallas. I have to assume he'd have a better shot at a Top 6 role still in Dallas than Detroit (although Hudler could be on his way out) or Tampa, but I could be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Yeah ... just to be safe I went to check the wording on the current CBA. It still states European players are in the ELC system until the age of 28.

I'd like to see Dallas get creative.

Since the minimum salary is $525K and the max signing bonus he can earn is $92.5K, Dallas could offer him a $307.5K games played bonus for 1 game. Then they could give him max A bonuses. It might be irrational, but it really annoys me when a player like Brunner gets B bonuses. There's less than a 1% chance, IMO, he'd earn it his first year in the league. While I do believe the bonus overage will come back, I'd like to know for certain before they burn that cap space on something as dumb as a B bonus.

I think they should give him a 1 year contract worth $1.775 million:
*$92.5K signing bonus
*$525K actual NHL salary
*$307.5K games played bonus
*$925K salary against the cap
*$70K AHL salary
*$850K A bonuses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
First of all tagesanzeiger.ch is a swiss newspaper.
If I am trying to search after this rumor/article I couldn't find anything. Neither with the search words "Dallas" or "Brunner", so I wouldn't bet my money on it.