View Single Post
Old
03-26-2006, 10:33 AM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19
Hey guys, as a non-Predator fan I was just trying to get perspective from you guys about what you thought of Avery tonight. The way I see it, it was totally ridiculous, uncalled for and idiotic and I know that if it happened against the Rangers I'd be pissed. However, most posters on the main board think I'm nuts for being the slightest bit upset for watching Avery pull a T.O. out there and totally make a mockery of the game. What were your reactions though, just trying to get a better perspective of this.
It didn't bother me. It was a pointless goal in a loss. I'd rather him not do it as it is classless, but hey, he called Trotz' bluff. Trotz basically sat Hordichuk and Tootoo for the last two periods and begged the Kings to run over a tired Predator team that played the game handcuffed from a variety of sources. I am disappointed that we didn't respond in any way to his antics, but I can't say I'm suprised. Trotz is not Hartley or Sutter. He refuses to resort to goonery or cheapshots to end games. I can't say I blame him. If there was a brawl, it would just end up as a big powerplay for the Kings with the way the game had gone to that point. As terrible as the Kings D was and is, we could have made a game of it and almost did.

What bothered me from the last game was more than Avery, as he didn't play a major role in the game at all. Well, save for boarding Zidlicky and knocking him out of the contest. I look past Avery's actions and at the play of Vokoun who has looked quite bad in 3 of his past 4 contests. He might be beginning to hit that wall that we all feared he'd hit directly after the Olympics. It was very questionable of Trotz to start him last night. Playing your starting goalie, who has to be tired, in back to back contests on a west coast road swing was foolish when those individual games aren't crucial. They'd be nice to win, but we aren't in the dog fight that most teams are in. A rested goalie is more important than those 2 points which will likely be of little consequence as the season closes.

This game was a confluence of terrible goaltending, officiating, luck, and coaching decisions. I'm more concerned about those things than what a 3rd liner does after an insurance goal.