Thread: Speculation: Would you take Carle back?
View Single Post
Old
05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
But see, your looking at it from the point of view of his play in Dallas. You can't take that into consideration when looking at how he did for the Flyers. Carle's corsi was the worst on the team the first half of the season, but fixed it the second half. Grossmann had a longer bad half, but on the Flyers, was the best on defense. There is a reason why he was matched up against, Malkin, Crosby, Parise, Kovy etc etc.

But see thats where I disagree. I think Grossmann is easily the better defender out of the two. You like to use Corsi a lot, but you gotta remember you can't use advanced stats to see the whole picture. Remember Meszaros was rated the teams best defender last season for a reason.
The reason is the media doesn't know what they are talking about. Meszaros was facing 3rd pairing competition. He couldn't have been the Flyers best defender.

Grossmann was matched up against players like Malkin because Timonen was injured and his minutes were limited. He was on the ice for more even strength goals against than any other Flyer in the regular season since we acquired him and that's with missing time due to injury. It wouldn't be the first time Lavi made a poor choice with his match ups (Briere vs Krejci last year).

When Pronger was healthy everyone couldn't wait to discredit Carle by saying he was a product of playing with Pronger, but he has proven he can play well without him. Yet Grossmann's play completely fell off the face of the earth when he was removed from the Robidas pairing in Dallas, but no one ever notices that. I don't see what makes him better than Carle.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote