Thread: Speculation: Would you take Carle back?
View Single Post
Old
05-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I disagree. I think he is better than Meszaros and Grossmann easily. It's a lot more closer with Coburn.

Meszaros has been basically used as a third pairing defender on the Flyers both years he has been here. Carle faces tougher competition both years and out performed him both years.

Grossmann had the worst Corsi of Flyers defenders that played at least 40 games this year. Grossmann seems to have benefited from playing with Robidas in the past.
Corsi QoC (2011-2012)
Grossmann 1.106
Coburn 0.492
Timmonen 0.187
Kubina 0.104
Carle 0.001
Bourdon -0.464
Mezsaros -0.923

The difference in level of competition between Carle and Grossmann is bigger than the level of competition difference Carle and Mez.

Grossmann also sported the worse offensive zone start % of Flyers defenders (43.9%, compared to Carle at 49.4%).

That said, I'll easily concede that the Corsi and Corsi Rel put Carle as our second best defenseman... let's just not over inflate his value by suggesting that he drew the toughest assignments.

At the end of the day, the stats basically tell you that Laviolette viewed/slotted Carle as a 3-4 defenseman and he performed well in that role. He slotted Grossmann as a number 1-2... and he was mediocre at best. I will absolutely concede that Mezsaros was viewed as a 5-6 defenseman and performed as such in 2011-2012, but I also think we all agree that Grossmann is not suited to be a 1-2 defenseman.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote