View Single Post
Old
05-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Not for the highest paid players though. Even though the salaries may be less, there are far less taxes over there. However, the quality of life form what I understand is way below that of an NHLer. I remember some article about Ray Emery about how everyone had to sleep on a cot in a gym the night before every game or something like that. Unless you're from Russia or Eastern Europe, I doubt you are flocking to the KHL.
The KHL doesn't generate any near as much revenue as the NHL hence the substandard quality of life. They have some crazy owners with deep pockets that are willing to lose money to lure some Russian players, but they could not afford NHL payrolls without bleeding money. If you are an elite talent there is much more money to be made in the NHL with the larger payrolls and without the fear of your paychecks stopping at any point. There's also the potential for endorsements and as you point out the quality of life is much better.

If the KHL was truly on par with the NHL then I'd imagine you'd see more talent flock there, but it's not.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote