Thread: Speculation: FINAL: Where does Nash end up?
View Single Post
Old
05-21-2012, 05:33 PM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Unfortunately this won't be the "Final" Nash thread. It will be another thread to rehash what has been offered, maybe been offered, would never be offered and how awesome or crapy Nash or his contract may be. At this point it's believed that Boston, Toronto, NYR, San Jose and Vancouver are on his "list". There have been mumblings (probably HF talk or CBJ fan wishes) of Philly and Los Angeles being potential options and then there are a couple teams that are likely great fits for the demands of Scott Howson but don't appear to be on the list (Ottawa, Washington)

The CBJ appear to be looking for a young top 6 forward or top 4 d-man, a top prospect or two and a 1st round pick. Clearly that wasn't offered at the deadline and with the NYR playing as well as they have in the playoffs I suspect they don't sweeten the pot and are likely out. Personally, I think Ottawa is an ideal fit from a CBJ standpoint (not that Ottawa is pushing for Nash). They have the young players, a deep prospect pool and a mid level 1st that could likely be moved. Nash likely pushes them into the next level of team with a potential shot at the cup sooner rather than later and balances their scoring. Moot point if he won't waive or they aren't interested.

Nash gets moved but until the GM's start to ramp up the talks before the draft we really have no idea. Nash has been a great Franchise Face for Columbus. The team has been average in the best years and he's had little to play with. He'll get a nice return but I don't see players like Couture, Kreider, Seguin, etc. being part of the deal unless it's something even bigger than just Nash. Columbus does have a very good defensive prospect pool but little else to offer of significance at this point.

I wish this were the last thread but alas, it's just another....
This is the closest to what is the overall picture.

Quote:
Unfortunately this won't be the "Final" Nash thread.
We can get to a realistic middle (and thus final thread) if everybody agrees on certain givens:

a) Nash wants out.
b) Nash can't exclusively control where he goes.
c) Nash can't be dumped wherever CBJ wishes.
d) This is because Nash may be compelled to report (setting aside what rights he may have to a limited trade list, notwithstanding); but he does not have to bust his butt, only go through the motions.
e) Nash is also on a big contract; yes it's long; but it is not cheap. Yeah, it's not a rip-off, but it's not a bargain either.

2. The balance of #1 above means Howson will take the best offer, but the best offer will not be ANYWHERE near the ridiculous and excessively exorbitant price he has previously continued to demand.

Quote:
The CBJ appear to be looking for a young top 6 forward or top 4 d-man, a top prospect or two and a 1st round pick. Clearly that wasn't offered at the deadline and with the NYR playing as well as they have in the playoffs I suspect they don't sweeten the pot and are likely out.
I don't doubt other teams, in an abstract vacuum, offer more. But given the above, and the ability of Nash to ultimately signal how much he is willing to put out, no one will overpay, and the Rangers better not overpay.

What is fair? If he were a Restricted Free Agent, what is the max these days?
I think it's 4 future 1sts.

If I am Rangers, I offer Dubinsky and 4 guaranteed conditional 2nds, each of which has the ability to become a 1st, provided for each of those 4 years Nash meets certain availability and production targets. If Nash is injured, Rangers are on the hook for the (remaining) 2nds, but not an automatic 1st upgrade for each.

Since this is ballpark to what RFA would be, I contend this is fair.
It is the closest parallel to the actual.
If Nash were actual RFA, he would walk, and something close to what I described, without Dubinsky, is the most that can be hoped for.
This is a little bit extra for both clubs.

Quote:
Nash gets moved but until the GM's start to ramp up the talks before the draft we really have no idea. Nash has been a great Franchise Face for Columbus. The team has been average in the best years and he's had little to play with. He'll get a nice return but I don't see players like Couture, Kreider, Seguin, etc. being part of the deal unless it's something even bigger than just Nash.
Yeah, Kreider is going nowhere, and I wouldn't give him up for Nash straight up.
Dubi + the picks would be it.
Someone also said maybe Stepan. I could see Stepan and a throw in and lose all or most of the picks.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote