Thread: Speculation: FINAL: Where does Nash end up?
View Single Post
Old
05-21-2012, 07:43 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Although I'm not a fan of the drive-by comment, I think what he says is true.

Montreal's top assets, as I see them, are:
- 3rd overall pick
- Louis Leblanc
- Nathan Beaulieu
- Jarred Tinordi
- Brendan Gallagher
- Lars Eller
- Max Pacioretty
- Josh Gorges
- PK Subban
- Carey Price

Price, Pacioretty, and Gorges are probably all off the table. With having traded McDonagh, I doubt there's a strong inclination to move defensemen prospects. But the forward prospects or current forwards is not a strong group...Leblanc and Eller probably aren't going anywhere, which would leave Gallagher. Gauthier and Gainey made a mess out of the forwards, so the availability of any of them is unknown. They've got a lot of cash tied up in a small number of players, including over $10 million for two non-producers in Gomez and Bourque.

You know what I'd do if I were Columbus? Offer cap relief. I'd take on Gomez and one of those pieces above for a middling return. That would give Montreal almost $30 million in cap space next year, and with 11 pending RFAs on the current NHL roster, that's as good as gold.

The Gomez contract is dead weight...it would almost have to be moved in order to have enough space to keep the RFAs as well as handle Nash's contract. But to take on that much of an albatross would substantially alter the returning pieces. Dare I say it makes a deal unworkable.
If you look at every team and the assets they have that they'd be willing to move are no better than what the Habs would be willing to offer.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote