View Single Post
Old
05-21-2012, 09:50 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
I played with Souray's advanced stats in a previous thread somewhere, but instead of digging it up I'll just say I agree with glovesave that Souray is a decent option to return ... even though Gaglardi didn't sound too interested recently.

There are two big things that must happen for this to work though, IMO. It's been mentioned, but you can't have Robidas and Souray on this team together. The next thing is you've got to make sure Gully doesn't play him like a #1 D. The guy should be getting a heavy dose of ES and PK time ... that's it.

In most cases, bigger guys aren't that mobile and they can get walked. That happened to Souray some. Overall though, and despite playing top lines which was probably a mistake ... or Dallas' best option however you want to look at it ... Souray was still good as a defender.

Since I'm pessimistic about Dallas' chances of landing Suter, they should only be looking at short term options unless it's a top pairing D they are acquiring via trade. I doubt you'll get anyone significantly better than Souray for less money in free agency and a trade cost assets.

I do believe a two-year deal would make both the team and player happy. Dillon replaces Robidas this year, and Nemeth could replace Fistric the following year. Oleksiak replaces Souray. It works out perfectly IMO, and Souray is going to miss time. He's aggressive and older, and those things don't lead to 82 game seasons. It's a great opportunity to give Oleksiak and Nemeth a taste of the NHL whenever Souray needs rest and recovery.

Unless you've somehow convinced Suter or even Schultz to choose Dallas, it's not the worst decision to bring him back. Like I said though, I hate it if Robidas is still around though.