View Single Post
Old
05-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Do I think we should only pick up Americans? No. But I do think there is a value to having a culture and that can be easier when you have a critical mass of guys from the same geographical location. Think of the 90's Wings and Russians, the late 90's Pens and Russians, or, more recently, the Wings and their various Swedes.

Now, part of the reason it is useful with foreign players is to create a more comfortable atmosphere and obviously Americans don't have that same obstacle playing in Columbus. But I do think there is something to be said for creating a blue collar and yes, dare I say, American, culture in the locker room. And, yes, it is one reason I'd be all in favor of taking Pavelski. But, if the choice is Crosby or Pavelski, I'm still taking Crosby. Assuming his concussion issues are resolved.
But most European players from the same country would have come up through a similar type of system. American players could have taken several different paths to get where they ended up, and that's to say nothing of the cultural differences from region to region (although hockey regions in the US are more homogenized than, say, football). So there's not necessarily a standardization of any type; there's no "American school of hockey".