Old
05-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
More people watched because they put every game on TV. When you stop twisting what the articles you posted say, and correctly interpret the data, you will better understand it.
Wait...so what is it? The absence of fighting, or wider availability? If people were so revolted by fighting, shouldn't all the goonery in the first round have done more damage to hockey overall, with more people watching?

Yet, that wasn't the case. People kept tuning in anyways.

Quote:
Playoff hockey has always garnered higher ratings and the biggest difference is the absence of goonism and fighting. You want to take the one exception, this years first round, and twist what the numbers say, to somehow conclude more people watched because of goonism and violence.

No other sport "benches" people who have played all season for the post season. People don't want to see Jody Shelley & Zac Rinaldo in the playoffs. Their style of play doesn't attract people to the game. Players like Giroux, Parise, Kovalchuk, Stamkos, etc are the ones people tune in for.

When the lights shine brightest and the ratings go way up, Rinaldo and Shelley are in the press box where they belong.
Just because useless goons who lack skill don't play as much, that doesn't automatically equate a ratings boost to lack of fighting. That has more to do with coaches wanting their best players on the ice more often, especially because the competition is better.

I don't think the lack of fighting has anything at all to do with higher ratings. I think the fact that the games really matter for something has FAR more to do with it. Instead of being 1 game out of 82, it's 1 game of 7 or less that determines which team moves on. That's far more compelling than "less fighting!"

Playoffs in other sports garner higher ratings as well...and it's because the games are more important. Those sports don't have the fighting aspect to remove, so why is there a ratings difference there? For the same reason as hockey: people care more when the games matter more. That's all there is to it.

Edit: I have several friends who only watch hockey once in a blue moon during the season, but tune in to as many playoff games as they can. I can assure you, none of them would say it's due to less fighting. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who will tell you they like the playoffs more because players fight less.