View Single Post
Old
05-22-2012, 02:24 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I think Loui is the guy on his own merits. Yeah, the idea would be for him to take over that job for the foreseeable future, not to keep the C warm for Benn, who I believe fits more into the Modano role. I don't think it's possible to give Benn too much responsibility on the ice but I would be wary of giving him an additional burden like that.

Loui has:
  • Durability -- he's played an average of 81.25 games over the past 4 seasons.
  • Credibility -- he's either the best player on the team or the 2nd best player and figures to remain so.
  • Experience -- you wouldn't just be giving the C to a kid; he would be a bridge between young players and vets. Furthermore he has competed admirably at the highest levels of international play and possesses NHL playoff experience. Loui is the same age as Ryan Callahan, for example.
  • Respect -- from the officials and his opponents. He doesn't mouth off at anyone or make a scene on the way to the penalty box (on the rare occasion he even makes that trip). Part of fixing the penalty problem is installing a responsible player with a good reputation at the top of your leadership structure who doesn't cry when things don't go his way.
  • Legitimacy -- he was drafted and developed by the organization and paid his dues in the minors. He wouldn't be seen as a hired gun. Add to that the fact he plays hard every single night and does all the little things right and I can't think of a better example for young players to follow.
The Swedish thing is a non-factor this day and age. That trail has been thoroughly blazed. His English is perfectly fine from a functional perspective. On top of that you know it wouldn't go to his head... he's incorruptible.

I just have no appetite to see more of the same. Whether that's a tenured vet like Morrow or a recent arrival like Souray I just want them all gone. Get younger starting now wherever possible.
You've sold me. I'm less convinced that we should be wary of Benn having too much leadership responsibility (long term) than you but Loui does have pretty much everything you could want. The international play/success is a big one for me.