View Single Post
Old
05-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Zuluss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
The best 4 club teams in the world are still playing hockey, and thus by definition the WHC cannot be best-on-best. Certain nations are always going to be missing key players. Imagine if the World Cup of Soccer was being played without players from the Champions League semi-finals (Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, and Barcelona) and all the players on the four quarter finals teams were coming off of hard fought matches. Do you think that Spain would still have won or Argentina would not be severely crippled by the loss of Messi?

The IIHF has no one to blame but themselves for this loss of prestige as they continue to follow a Eurocentric agenda for the WHC.
On the other hand, Hockey Canada can only blame themselves for not working things out with NHL and IIHF and for not persuading the stars to come over if they are not playing in the playoffs.

I admit that there are things that could have been done better by IIHF (the Canada game in the quarters starting at 5 am ET is one thing that comes to mind), but WHC is still way fairer than World Cup or WJC, which are run by Canada. That makes me think that most of complaints about IIHF being Eurocentric are actually something like "it does not bend over for Canada and does not hand us any unfair advantage, how come?"

I do think IIHF should do a better job reaching out to the North American audience. WHC should be held in Canada and USA way more often than it is, effort should be made to schedule Canada and USA games later in the evening, there should be some convergence in the rules between IIHF and NHL, etc.
I do not know though what Hockey Canada does about that. E.g., do they apply to have the upcoming WHC in Canada every year and IIHF turns them down every year, or do they just ignore WHC (and then it's no wonder Europe always gets it)?

Yet, the fair arrangement for WHC will have to be somewhat Eurocentric, just because there are more hockey countries in Europe than in North America. If you treat everyone fairly, Euros are more likely to have their way most of the time.