View Single Post
Old
05-22-2012, 04:23 PM
hockeymass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
Remember that you don't have any traction sliding your feet forward or back( like what you would do in socks to build a static charge on carpet ), your control is side to side with your edges. Turning your feet will give you control in the direction you want. Most people have balance and strength issues in the beginning because they don't often use those balance and control muscles everyday. Try doing simple balance exercises like standing on one foot for an extended period of time or even 1-leg hops. Also try 1-leg squats, which will help with power as well as balance.

I'll second that. There is no need for unplanned dental work, it can happen even in pickup. Some people complain about the bars getting in the way, but I'd rather play with a cage than spend a ton of time and money suffering at the dentist's office.

As far as the gear to spend time and money on, I have to go with skates and helmets. Poorly fitting skates can ruin the whole experience by how much your feet hurt and be a hazard to your skating. A poorly fitting helmet can be a problem too; You want to keep your brain on the inside of your skull.

Shin pads of any sort should suffice. When you pay more for them, its often a comfort and side-padding upgrade. They almost all have the same plastic on the front and will provide great protection. You should always face the puck when blocking a shot.

Pants are ones I think you can save a few bills on too. They may not fit *perfectly*, but they don't need to. Not like skates, helmets and elbow pads. I recommend using suspenders.

Shoulders and elbows are ones I like to spend a few bills on. I had a pair of elbow pads that slipped down constantly and eventually went down and banged the back of my elbow on the ice. Enough to sideline me for a couple weeks. Make sure the elbow pads you get don't slip. The protection most provide will be good, though I'm not a fan of the all-soft elbow pads I have some teammates that like them.

Most shoulder pad upgrades will provide tougher foam for protection and maybe some design changes. The level of protection is up to you and how many pucks you might be stepping in front of.

You don't need to use the super duper sticks either. They are for the kids whose parents pay for everything and want to spend money. Sure the expensive sticks will be better, but the cheaper ones will surely get the job done. Make sure it is about the right length and flex for you though and go from there. If you're not sure about what curve to use, try something like the Easton Iginla or Heatley curves to start. They are very 'neutral' in that they don't go to extremes like the Easton Chara( deep curve ), Getzlaf/Lidstrom( wide open heel ), Easton Sakic/Hall( open mid-toe ) or Zetterberg( closed mid ). I used Easton because those are the curves I know, all manufacturers will have the same general types of curves and you can match one to another( The Bauer Backstrom and Toews curves are pretty similar to the Easton Sakic/Hall ).

Did I forget anything in particular?
You could do without the disparaging remarks about people who buy nice sticks. I'm 26 and live on my own and bought a Vapor APX cause I can and I wanted to.

Everything else is spot on though.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote