Thread: Proposal: Niemi, Clowe, + 2nd to Tor..
View Single Post
Old
05-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 4052
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
See, that's what I like so much about this trade -- at first it seems rather one-sided, but when you look at it outside of a vacuum and consider both teams positions, it starts making quite a bit of sense. Both Clowe and MacArthur provide largely equivalent 2nd line scoring, but MacArthur excels off the rush, which is what San Jose would appreciate more of, and Clowe works the halfboards like nobody's business, which is what Toronto is hurting for. Niemi would provide Toronto with, at worst, the consistent, league average goaltending they've been desperate for since Belfour left, while giving Scrivens and Owuya a chance to develop properly. For San Jose, Reimer is easily platoon-able with one of the bevy of promising young goalies they have, allowing them to evaluate what they have without throwing the position of starter to a rookie. (Note: people seem to dismiss Reimer rather quickly, which I don't really understand. He's put up better numbers than Jonathan "Future Vezina Winner" Bernier in slightly more games played, but for some reason there's a major love affair with Bernier.) As for the 2nd round pick, I wouldn't add that from San Jose unless Toronto's 35th overall was coming back, or one of their mid forward prospects, like Ashton or Frattin. But I still really like this trade. Very well thought out. Hats off to you, OP.
YES! Thank you. Seems like I finally found someone who also doesn't think he is all that. We will never know unless he gets a starting role but his numbers are not that great. Reimer started out this year pretty well but then got injured and never found his game again after it. I'm not writing him off just yet, want to wait and see how he does this coming season when he will be 100%. If we get a goalie who is clearly better though (Niemi is clearly better in my opinion) I'm all for that too

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote