View Single Post
Old
05-23-2012, 06:12 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
yeah he had to shed talent, he also made no effort to replace that talent. He also significantly underrated the talent he got rid of. You telling me he couldn't have got more for Andrew Ladd? a Second Round Pick and a KHL Defensemen? That's It?
This has got to be a joke. You're not serious, are you? Please tell me your not.

Lets revisit histroy, shall we?

In 2010, after the Hawks won the Cup, Kane and Toews both got significant player bonuses that, because of the Hawks cap situation at the end of the season, were tagged onto the 2010-11 salary cap. At the begining of 2010-11, Duncan Keith, Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews' new contracts all kicked in at the same time, with each player getting significant raises. Add that to, as mentioned earlier, the 4M bonuses Kane and Toews got and Chicago had no cap space to work with - despite demoting Huet and his 5.25M pricetag to Europe... thus making it impossible to add any significant players to replace the depth Chicago had to move.

In the Summer of 2010, when all the trades were being made, Andrew Ladd was seen as a very good third liner and not much more. He was coming off a 38 point season and had only scored 6 goals & 10 points in 36 playoff games over 2 seasons with Chicago prior to being moved. What could you realistically expect for a good third liner? Bowman got what many believed was an NHL-ready Dman and former 1st round pick, aswell as a 2nd round pick that turned out to be Adam Clendening. That was fair value for Andrew Ladd at the time. I don't think anyone expected Ladd, who had never scored 20 goals in his NHL career to that point, would go on to have 28 and 29 goal seasons in his first two seasons in Atlanta/Winnipeg.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote