View Single Post
Old
05-23-2012, 09:46 AM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Well, Spacek did say the general manger was running the show in regards to Cunney, pretty much verbatim.
That much micromanagement though? Where did Gauthier find the time?

I can buy Gauthier ordered Subban and Eller scratched. I can buy that he ordered the whacky notion of using Eller as the tough matchup guy after that four-goal game. I can buy that he ordered the failed two-man forecheck experiment.

But would Gauthier order Eller benched after he floundered at that role? Would he order more minutes for Blunden? Would he order a total dismantling of the system to go to a purely "push puck and chase" approach (much as Martin is blamed for this, they at least passed the puck out of the zone, whereas they did practically nothing but chip it out under Cunneyworth)?

Cunneyworth was not put in an ideal situation and it's quite possible that Gauthier had more of a hand in micromanaging coaching than I thought, but the management was so bad that there's nothing to show Cunneyworth even had a clue.

Also, very important tidbit worth remembering about Spacek's opinions about the interim coach: Spacek was traded before Martin was fired. There's only so much first-hand information he would have about Cunneyworth the head coach.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote