View Single Post
Old
05-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I completely dismiss this years UFA market, what's the point of overpaying (cause we'll have to) a UFA we'll only try to drive out of town in a few months.

I'm not talking about a bunch of 20 year olds here, I'm talking about 2, who by most accounts are physically and emotionally able to handle the NHL. All players are different but at 6'7" Tinordi is more than strong enough to hold his own in front of the net, which has been one of our biggest weaknesses. Beaulieu was almost kept this year, I suspect he'll challenge again. The example I used was the Rangers. Their D had it tough for a couple years because they were so young... well they're still young but they had the talent and size to learn in the NHL not AHL and the Rangers are reaping the benefits now.

We will not be the new Toronto. If we lose I'll be unhappy, but, we'll be losing knowing we have 2 first rounders in a deep pool. Toronto didn't have theirs and have spent decades looking for the quick fix. By build through the draft we'll be going back to our roots and have a team that grows together.
There are 2 scenarios worth overpaying. 1-you get a star player for no assets(picks players or prospects) so you overpay to get him like giving Praise 64 mil/8 years or Suter 60 mil/8 years. 2-you get a guy like Semin or Salvador short term 1-2 years, even if you overpay it's no big deal we have the cap room if we waive Gomez

You can also get UFA's that are bargains, there are 6-7 of these each summer, perfect example is Smith with Phoenix, buy low oin a guy who could rebound. Penner Latendresse Stoll could be examples there. Not every UFA costs a fortune over 5-6-7 years.

I don't like the idea of planning for Tinordi or any other rookie to crack the roster. I prefer having somebody else there and if a young player forces you to keep him then you move somebody else out. I prefer erring on the side of Gallagher LeBlanc Tinordi Ellis Beaulieu etc all starting the year AHL. Beaulieu stayed longer than expected, but I wouldn't say he was "almost kept". Which NYR blueliner cracked their roster without AHL time? Staal is the only one I think. Del Zotto made it at 19(it was NHL or OHL) but eventually at 20 had to be sent down for more seasoning.