View Single Post
Old
05-23-2012, 05:58 PM
habsfanatics*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
As far as this goes, myself and I think a few other people who liked the Martin/Gauthier era would point to the period of the 2010-11 season plus the first 20 games of 2011-12 as the best overall Habs team since the dark ages. This was a team that was strong on both special teams, had solid goal-tending and controlled the puck 5 on 5 like a competitive team.

Those who liked that generally think that Gauthier was a complete disaster after his last really good move of signing Erik Cole. After which there was a process of burning up his goodwill, largely based on his panicked blunderings after the team's slow start. Up to that point management blunders could be forgiven on the basis of good overall process and results but they can't when the team started going backwards like it did.

As for Martin, the gap between his defenders and detractors is pretty much unreconcilable at this point because both camps are largely looking at different things and using completely different metrics. As far as I'm concerned he had the team moving in the right direction as far as overall team game goes and his influence was shown by the utter collapse in team play under his replacement. What his players thought about him during that time isn't apt to change my mind because it was never a particularly important thing for me in the first place.
I could live with this assessment, I thought PG was doing a decent job up until he went into the season with Diaz, Weber, Yemelin, then firing Pearn, trading for Kaberle, then firing JM without giving him much of chance with the newly acquired Kaberle (terrible move, picking him up BTW), but still the coach should of had an opportunity to use his newly acquired asset. Then Bourque for Cammy mid game.

This season was disastrous from the beginning. You give him credit for signing Cole, which in isolation was a good signing, at least for the first year, will see for this year and beyond, but that signing may have contributed to him entering the season with Diaz, Weber, Yemelin all with no Markov, this screamed of trouble from the onset. I don't blame it on injuries, so much as piss poor planning, although the injuries played a roll too.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote