View Single Post
Old
05-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
It might slightly be overpayment but it's the kind that's necessary to get a better goalie.

We already have Keith/Seabrook until they retire, essentially. Hjalmarsson is here for another couple of years if we choose to keep him here. Leddy is already a 2nd pairing defenseman. Montador has another 3 years on his contract, and Olsen has shown flashes of being a good defenseman.

So we have 6 NHL defenseman right now. FA is also an option if we need to fill in a spot. Clenny and Johns look promising, and we still have a couple Rockford guys who might be alright to fill in the bottom pairing if need be. I like Paliotta too. Holl and Lalonde probably won't push Leddy or Clendening out of the line-up. And if they ever do turn out to be as good, then you can call it even for trading us Leddy for Barker

I'm not sure about other Hawks fans, but I'm okay with risking that deal. It's not like Holl/Lalonde project to be 1st pairing kinda guys... they're likely depth defensemen who can move the puck. If the Hawks can re-sign Backstrom after that 1 year, it would be worth it. If he walks and tests the market, then yeah, it would've been a lot for 1 year of Backstrom and a 2nd rounder but that's the risk we have to take.
I agree, it would be far better if !acks would be around past that one year.

I just think Chicago needs their D prospects more than Minny does. I do like the premise, though. Chicago would look incredible with Backstrom.

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote