Old
05-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
everyone knows Clutter's limitations...
I think you guys are selling him short in his importance to the team though. You know why GMs would highly value Clutterbuck? Because he's valuable. It would be incredibly ill advised to sign him past 3 years because of the game he plays, but while he's playing like he does he's worth more than the average 3rd liner. We don't have any young players who can "replace" him in any more than a physical presence sense of the word.
Clutter sucks with the puck, yes, but he's better at creating turnovers than just about anyone else on the roster and with a two man forecheck and faster guy on the other wing with Brodz playing it safe it could work well as, say, Zucker comes in to scoop out the puck.
As it stands he is probably our most salable asset outside of our prospects. I just don't think it's worth selling him off for more of those when we've already got so many in the pipeline that look so promising.
He lost his composure quite a bit the second half of the season and that has people really down on him--but please keep in mind if you're counting on Bulms to come in an replace him right away that Bulmer has a much hotter head than Clutter, and will absolutely take more stupid penalties as his comfort level in the NHL grows. That's the kind of player he is. We know that, and know there will be rough patches as he fine-tunes it, but he's just built to be a dick, and he will get called more often.
I think Clutterbuck was frustrated with the way the season went and that didn't help the situation. He should be back to normal next year.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote