Old
05-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
That's not Sekera's fault.

And I'm not really sure what the problem here is, either....
Jame said Sekera was their best D last season, which is true.

He never said he had the highest ceiling or that Myers and Ehrhoff shouldn't have been better and/or more consistent.

Sekera is not a #1. Maybe not even a #2 guy.
But developed into a damn solid #3 guy, and still has room to grow.

And again, while he isn't better than Myers or Ehrhoff on paper, fact is, he simply outplayed all the other guys last year, and fairly convincingly too.
I have trouble with the terminology of #1 / #2 / etc... do you go by minutes? matchups? role?

I'd rather speak in terms of role...

I think a defensemen who gets the top matchups, gets the bulk of the defensive zone starts, can skate with the best of them, and generates team offense via that skating, and a sharp outlet pass... has pretty much eveything you want in a so called "#1 defensemen" minus the individual offensive production or the overrated "real time stats"

Sekera's game has evolved over 4-5 seasons of NHL play... we always talk about how long it takes for defensemen to develop. Last year you saw that development take a huge step...

The Sabres should go into next year with Sekera-Myers as the top pairing... and they should leave them together for the whole season. Sekera is about to turn 26, and hit his prime, and his locked up for 3 of those prime years at an absolute steal.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote